MATEP's history dates back to 1906 when Harvard built a powerhouse to provide electricity for the Harvard Medical School only yards from where MATEP stands today. Later, the powerhouse was converted to provide steam and chilled water.
For many years the facility had a proven track record of providing heating and cooling services to its customers. Toward the end of the 1960's, it became apparent that the original design was becoming technologically obsolete. Planners from Harvard and area hospitals reviewed alternative methods of meeting the future utility needs of the various institutions. After a review of the available alternatives, the total energy plant concept was recommended as the most cost effective and fuel efficient way to ensure the availability of utility services on a long-term basis.
From 1978 to 1998, MATEP was owned by Harvard and operated by the Cogeneration Management Corporation.
On June 1, 1998, Advanced Energy Systems (AES) acquired MATEP from Harvard. After the acquisition of AES by NSTAR, a major electrical, steam and chilled water expansion was undertaken at MATEP to meet the growing needs of the connected facilities and to improve the operating efficiency and reliability of the plant.
On June 1, 2010, MATEP was acquired by a joint venture between Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners and Veolia Energy North America. The joint venture has an Operations & Maintenance contract with Veolia Energy Boston as the operator of the facility.